Tuesday, July 1, 2008

To Potential Employers -

I am now at that point where I am (very) actively looking for a job, ideally jobs that are new media/social media related. I'd love to work in the music industry since that's what I'm truly passionate about. Again, those of you who actually know me are already sick about my rants and ravings about the music industry and it's future. Get me started and I will talk about how things are and how things should be and how the industry as a whole can get there for hours. I've posted some of these thoughts on other blogs I write and on my facebook. Although I'd love to be in the music industry, I am almost equally fascinated by media in general, especially how technology applies to it. The changes wrought by the Web 2.0 blow my mind and I want to be a part of them and the changes that will are on their way with the coming of Web 3.0/the Semantics Web.

But I'm getting a bit off topic. This post is mainly meant as a greeting to people who are reading this blog after reviewing my resume. First off, thanks. Really, thank you for taking the time to check this out. I do appreciate it, even if you come here and think I'm nuts or have terrible grammar or whatever. Which brings me to my second point. I was a bit conflicted about whether or not to include this blog on my resume. It was not and is not written for a professional audience. I write it for people who are passionate about music, especially undiscovered music and who want to read about band who deserve more attention then they are getting. As such, this is not the ideal endorsement of myself as an employee. I talk about stuff such as music downloading and the writing style is not polished but is rather an explosion of ideas and thoughts jotted down as quickly as possible. Yes, there are misspellings and yes my grammar is not always perfect. I could go back and edit everything and clean it up but I fear that would take the spirit out of my Lester Bangs-like ramblings (okay, comparing myself to Lester Bangs is a bit much, I know) and as I said, this is not written for a professional audience. I'm aware that they will read it but it's not for them.

The reason I included this blog on my resume is because I felt it was an easy way to show knowledge of and experience in new media, in social media, and passion for music/media. It was much easier (and space saving) to just include a link to this blog than it was to list out all the other blogs and tumblrs that I have, the flickr and photobucket accounts, the memberships on multiple social networking sites, the accounts on multiple video sites, the memberships to so many message boards dating back as far as 2000 (and the untold number of posts....I would guess more than 10,000), and so on. So yes, posting this blog was a lot easier than listing all that out on my resume. So I hope you read it for what it is and judge it based on that. Thanks

No comments: